Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Neuro Note #4

Ted Talk by Terry Chase 
Spinal Cord Injury and Beyond 

This Ted Talk is about a woman named Terry Chase who suffered a T3 incomplete spinal cord injury due to a drunk driver. She was on the way back from a 10 mile bike ride with 2 of her friends, when she was struck by a car being driven by a drunk driver.

While she was in therapy, her therapist mentioned to her about a water ski trip that was happening in a couple of weeks and suggested that she should go. She asked her doctor and he gave her the green light because she had good trunk control. After that trip, she has water skied every year for 30 years.

After she was discharged from therapy, she decided to attend nursing school. Although nursing school was hard, especially for her, she persevered and graduated and became a nurse. She got the opportunity to return to the therapy center where she received therapy and got to create a patient/family education program where she got to talk to individuals who had also suffered spinal cord injuries

She worked with this one individual who inspired her. She learned through him that she needed to give back whole heartedly in whatever she did. She knew she needed to listen to the little whispers in her head telling her what her next first step would be. She wanted to help other individuals figure out what their next first step was and help them achieve it.

As I have stated in all of my previous blog posts for my neuro notes, I love Ted Talks because I love getting to hear stories firsthand of real life experiences that people have been through. I think this will really give me some experience by listening to each individual's story before having my own clients one day.

Before this Neuro class, I never would have thought that I would be so interested in these kinds of diagnoses, but I am. I love watching these Ted Talks and other videos about things we have learned in class. I can't wait to find more videos and resources to boost my knowledge even more.

If you enjoy Ted Talks and are interested in spinal cord injuries, I highly recommend this one. This Ted Talk really puts thing into perspective and helped me to listen to my heart and not be afraid to take my next first step.

Link for Ted Talk follows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NA_FLZ4WRk

Source:
Talks, T. E. D. (2018, October 17). Spinal Cord Injury & Beyond | Terry Chase | TEDxGrandJunction. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NA_FLZ4WRk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mock Interview

As a whole, I feel the interview went well. I had some technical difficulties at the beginning of the interview, but I kept my composure and...