Friday, November 15, 2019

Sensory Processing DIsorder SIM


Overall, I believe my SIM encounter went well. I was super nervous upon entering the SIM room, but I know I had prepared myself the best I could. Once I walked into the room and started talking to the parent, I felt more comfortable. I know there are things that I could have done better, but I also know that there are many aspects that I did well. When the 2-minute warning came over the speaker, I immediately got nervous again. 


If I got the opportunity to complete this same SIM lab again, I would definitely make sure to consider the parent’s feelings more. I knew I needed to be empathetic and listen to what she had to say and her concerns, but I also knew I only had 10 minutes to make sure she understood all of the information. Even if I wouldn’t have gotten through all of the information I had planned to, it would have been more professional and empathetic if I would’ve based the encounter around her instead of rushing to get through all of the information. 


There are many ways that someone can show that they care. One of the simplest ways to let someone know that you care is by sitting close to them and comforting them with your touch. Another important way to show the client and their family that you care is allowing them to express their concerns and express their emotions without cutting them off to finish your therapy session. This is one of the main roles of an occupational therapist. It is our job to base our therapy sessions around the main concerns of the family and the client. 


I will use this SIM experience in my future practice in many ways. This experience taught me that all conditions and diagnoses can be emotional and tough not only on the client but also their family. Education is an important part of an occupational therapist’s role. Occupational therapists are also there to listen to the concerns of the client and their family and to meet their needs as best as they can. I will always remember to put the client’s and the family’s needs and concerns at the top of the priority list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mock Interview

As a whole, I feel the interview went well. I had some technical difficulties at the beginning of the interview, but I kept my composure and...